Jan 24, 2011

The Mosaic Law, do we have a dilemma?

The Mosaic Law. What is it exactly? Is it just the Ten Commandments? Is it all of the laws of the Old Covenant given to Israel? What is the correlation to the Old Covenant that the phrase "The Law" has in the New Covenant?

There are a million other questions that can be asked in relation to this topic, I am sure of that. But, the answer, has vast implications to the practical life of a modern day disciple of Jesus Christ. Without the reference we see from Paul in the New Testament, we would be left with a phrase that is either definitive or confounding from the mouth of the Lord,
Mat 5:18  For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished.  
Ranging from old perspective to new perspective regarding Paul, the debate will in dubiously rage on well beyond any answers or conclusions I could personally surmise. But, I do endeavor to reason it out through a biblical understanding. I am hoping that my next 'heady' book I undertake will assist me in the matter. Here's to opening up a can of worms. Anyone have an aspiring ideal about the law?

I will post a review of the book The End of the Law: Mosaic Covenant in Pauline Theology (Nac Studies in Bible & Theology) as soon as I finish it. If you have read it, please comment on your thoughts. Or if you care to engage in discussion on the matter, likewise. I would love to hear your opinion!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your posting clean. Comments, free-thought, and otherwise contradictory remarks are definitely welcome, just be considerate with your language. Oh yeah, I also reserve the right to completely eradicate your comments from any of my posts, but seldom do. Just so you know...