Feb 14, 2009

Separation, Fellowship, and a Poor Illustration...

When I was a wee one, I learned a cool trick from my siblings and elder family members that always fascinated me. I will post a video that illustrates my point at the end of the post. Today, I thought that in all my writer's blocked glory, I would make a feeble attempt at illustrating a point. As far off topic of last week's post this might seem, I hope that it remains at least in part, in the same ballpark.

The discussion occurring on several blogs regarding the separation of doctrine, when and where the line should be drawn, and just what types of doctrine are dogmatic enough to create necessary separation. Some links to the blogs and articles in reference are, "A Voice of One Crying Out in Suburbia, The Assembling of The Church." I would say these are excellent posts, and the questions raised are due attention, but the confusion is where in the world do we begin? A short time back I made an attempt to touch on one area I believe to cause separation within a body of professing believers, one that is prevalent in mainstream Christendom if you will. The purpose of the post was to illustrate an elevation of Clergy over Laity, and the difference in stature that is fostered by this kind of separation.

This day, I would just like to touch on the topic of necessary separation that I see as a necessity for Christian fellowship. I won't touch much on personal commentary, but would propose this for consideration.

"Jesus said there would be tare's amongst the wheat, so we should always be ready to evangelize those in our midst, the church should be a mission field too."

And scripture illustrates,

Acts 2:42 And they devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers.

1Co 1:9 God is faithful, by whom you were called into the fellowship of his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

2Co 6:14 Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?

2Co 13:14 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ and the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.

Gal 2:9 and when James and Cephas and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given to me, they gave the right hand of fellowship to Barnabas and me, that we should go to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised.

1Jn 1:3 that which we have seen and heard we proclaim also to you, so that you too may have fellowship with us; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ.

1Jn 1:6 If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.

1Jn 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin.


So, enjoy the video. I think it shows simply the reaction we should witness to darkness when it comes into contact with the light of Christian fellowship which is born of the Holy Spirit!

4 comments:

Arthur Sido said...

Indeed, can you have Christian fellowship with non-Christians?

Wow, two posts in a week, you are on a tear!

James said...

Yeah buddy, you know me, I choose my words wisely whenever possible. Not all of us have *AHEM* all day to blog.....

Alan Knox said...

Thanks for the link to my blog. I'm glad to see that more and more believers are questioning the prevelance of separation among modern Christians.

-Alan

James said...

No problems Alan, however I don't think it's a matter of questioning anymore. We all know questioning is unwelcome. I do not wish to express an aversion to questioning, or even incite a militant coupe, but that we assert some sort of biblical position for once as Christians, not with out words, but with our practice.

Having been typically exposed to Baptist Separatism my entire walk, I find it hard to differentiate when the clear reading of scripture challenges me, but am also growing weary of superimposing eisegesis to maintain some superficial superiority amongst the intellectual elite.

mmmmhmmmm...

Post a Comment

Please keep your posting clean. Comments, free-thought, and otherwise contradictory remarks are definitely welcome, just be considerate with your language. Oh yeah, I also reserve the right to completely eradicate your comments from any of my posts, but seldom do. Just so you know...