Dec 11, 2008

Everybody Needs Rehab

Every now and then there's a tug on my conscience that humbles me and causes me to remember things about my past. Not that it would be one of glorification, or one of fantasy, but of sobriety. There are a significant amount of relationships I once had with people who are part of the recovery movement. You can call it Narcotics or Alcoholics Anonymous (NA and AA) or you can call it 12-step groups. Either way, I knew and still know a good number of individuals who are in what's known as "Recovery."

When I was redeemed by the blood of Christ in July of 2004, I was not yet able to stand on my two feet as a man. Worse yet, I barely qualified as human in many respects. When this part of my life is discussed with peers and people I associate with now, they just say good job, or well done. You have a good life so now everything is alright has become the adage. However, what they don't seem to hear when they hear my words, is the grace of the Christ. In the intermediary time spent transitioning from dope fiend to human being, there was not much discipleship occurring. My discipleship was spent soaking up the philosophies of Narcotics Anonymous. As well as I see many do embracing these steps and ideals, they are being saturated with humanism that has long washed itself of the truth and redemption of God found in Jesus Christ.

The relationships I had break my heart and I long to return to my people. Yes, my people. Many of them remember what it's like to be forgotten, swept under the rug, and written off as useless members of our society. They too will admit that they were exactly that. But, they still face that demon on a regular basis and end up owning a persona that causes insecurities, shallow perceptions of relationships, discontent and disinterest in God, and most of all, social anxieties that separate them (us) from others when we are in a room full of people who love us.

I am familiar with their pain, and it is an intimate pain that I wish I could say has been lifted. But today it stands as a thorn in my flesh and reminds me daily of what I was actually delivered from the moment I realized the full payment for my sin could be found in Jesus Christ. Oh how great is our Lord on High? I know this call, these thoughts, this thorn is for good reason. It is to remind me that there is a mission field I was placed in and I have shirked this duty for a long time. Smoke filled meeting halls, cussing street people, and manic depressed recovering addicts can finally recover once and for all.

Problem is, there is not many people in those smoked filled rooms telling them who the real Jesus is. I think I'm going to make me a meeting tomorrow night. RU Anonymous? When's the last time you shared the gospel with that dope fiend who just asked you for a quarter? I used to be him. I never heard from you. Maybe the next one will?

Mat 11:28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

1 comment:

Patrick Eaks said...

I came from a long line of drunkards in my family. I was a drunk myself. Until The Lord Jesus Christ opened my eyes and set me free. I praise God for your testimony, thank you so much for sharing it with us. Jesus still is a delivering God! And that is the message that needs to be taken to all people who are in bondage. I am so thankful that I was given the gift of faith and repentance to believe the true gospel.

You are right when you say, there are not many people going to these places and proclaiming the real Jesus! What we need in the desperate day that we live in is for a few people to stand up and be bold about the real gospel of Jesus Christ! I will pray for you as you take the one and only Jesus to those who need deliverance!

Colossians 1:13 - Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

Bro Pat

Post a Comment

Please keep your posting clean. Comments, free-thought, and otherwise contradictory remarks are definitely welcome, just be considerate with your language. Oh yeah, I also reserve the right to completely eradicate your comments from any of my posts, but seldom do. Just so you know...